Extending my banner

Friday 3 June 2011

I am a Mormon (Choices, Part 2)

It is not Popular to do the right thing, I don't always make the best choices or do the right thing.

Why are we given Commandments in the First place ?

While Growing up I thought that I knew better than my Parents and peers, all of us go through this cycle of life. I know now that they were right all along. Even now we think that we know better than our Heavenly Father, I am guilty of this.

Luckily Our Loving Heavenly Father has given us the freedom of choice. I am grateful he has and I know he does so we can learn and grow.

There was a story that Elder Mervyn B. Arnold told. This best describes to me why God has given us Commandments. http://lds.org/general-conference/2010/10/what-have-you-done-with-my-name?lang=eng

I would like to Highlight a few of those points he talked about.

He explains that his wife, when she was 15 years old, felt there were too many rules and commandments, how could a teenager enjoy life with so many Restrictions?

One of her jobs on her family farm was to make sure the Cows grazing on the mountain pasture did not break through the fence and get into the wheat field. A cow grazing on growing wheat can bloat, causing suffocation and death. They had a cow that would always stick it's head through the fence. One day she had found the cow had broken through and eaten the wheat, she recognized that the cow was already bloated. She thought, 'You Stupid cow! That fence was there to protect you, yet you broke through it and you have eaten so much wheat that your life is in danger.'
    
"While we are free to choose for ourselves, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. When we make a choice, we will receive the consequences of that choice".

The fence in that story was a protection, for us the commandments are a protection. Obedience to the commandments will save us from physical and spiritual death.

The Commandments are not given to us to restrict us, but to bless us.

Everyone of us Must learn that the Grass is never greener on the other side of the fence, nor will it ever be.




How can I find Forgiveness when I cross the Fence ?

No comments:

Post a Comment